Making the Cossack Hat Frame*
Michael provided additional information for the DIY Cossack movie.
MEASURE THE CIRCUMFERENCE.
Take a generous length of the hat padding being used, and
- Fit around the head like a head band.
- Adjust to fit comfortably around the head and stick together with adhesive tape .
- Don’t cut the foam yet!
- Mark the join,
- Add 2cm to make the band a bit looser, then
- Cut the padding and tape the ends together to form a circle.
Adjust this head band for easy slip-on comfort and for it to have a jaunty tilt towards the back of head. Once satisfied with this, measure the final length. This is the final basic circumference for the preparation of the wire mesh frame.
MEASURE THE HEIGHT OF THE HAT.
Like the circumference, this will depend on the individual.
Typically, 9 squares deep (=120mm) is a good height and allows for either an elastic suspension, or for some 6mm foam pads stuck to the top.
A simple paper or cardboard pattern helps to determine these dimensions.
- Cut a paper pattern 150mm high and the above circumference.
- Mark the 9 square(120mm) position, and
- Tape the pattern into a hat shape.
- Check the height to the top of the head, and
- Cut the paper to the height needed to fit a padded top for the hat.
* Wire ends are sharp and can cause cuts. So please wear gloves!